Monday, January 19, 2009

a well placed raspberry

I was reflecting on the previous blog, wondering whether to delete it or not. Analysing comedy isn't something I love to do. I've always got a bit peeved when I have heard people who've never performed stand up, or are new to it, rave on like comic experts! Cos the truth is, just when you think you've figured out what makes something funny (or not), some new thing will come along and blow your theory out of the water.

Good comedy is beyond analysis.

Like a well placed raspberry. (thhhhtttt!!!)

Analyse a raspberry if you will. (listen to the goons "ying tong" song on your right).

What makes a raspberry funny? Is it because it sounds vaguely like a fart? Is it because it involves sticking your tongue out (not considered polite), or because it is a wordless and abstract sound effect? Is a raspberry "clean humor" or "dirty humor?"

Read any Shakespearean monologue in all seriousness, and stick in a raspberry at the end. I guarantee it will get laffs!

I do believe a raspberry defies analysis- like all good comedy.

Go ahead, analyse this:

thhhhhhhhhhhtttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!

No comments: