Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The ego

I am.

Not "I think therefore I am" -apparently though, that discovery was an evolutionary step in human conciousness. The trick is to "get behind the thought". It's the thoughts that create our emotional reactions, and sometimes those emotions don't do us much good. I could tell you what I think and feel about all that, but that would defeat the purpose wouldn't it?

So I've finally caught up with the work of "Eckhart Tolle". It's good stuff. Basically it deals with how to rise above the ego. The only question that remains to be asked, is - if he sincerely follows this philosophy, why does he need to put his photo on the cover of the book?

I think the website advertising his books, his workshops, his seminars and his videos say it all.
http://www.eckharttolle.com/eckharttolle

However, if I follow the philosophy he espouses, then I am not supposed to "think" about it am I? Judging by the amount of followers he has, and the amount of money he's generating as a result, it is clear there are many who are not thinking at all. Nothing original in that really, many religions prefer mindless followers. Is that just my ego talking? My thoughts in reaction to his words? Is my ego attaching itself to emotion? If I call him just another narcissistically disordered money grubbing guru wanker then am I just being "triggered" and caught up in needing to defend my own less evolved position? I am sure Mr. Tolle would charge me lots of money in a workshop to help me process this.

I've meditated on this, gone behind the thoughts that have come up as a result, and worked through the emotions. Here's what has emerged from my deep inner space.

I am.
Mr. Tolle, you are not.




No comments: